Residents are thanked for following firework safety advice on bonfire night, as firefighters tackled just two bonfire-related incidents in Cambridgeshire.
Between 5pm on Tuesday, November 5, and 5am on Wednesday, November 6, there were just two bonfire-related incidents which required firefighting action, one in Cambridge and one in Huntingdon.
A further six calls for the Cambridgeshire area were received by Combined Fire Control in relation to bonfires, but these did not require any firefighting action and advice was given to residents.
Numerous bonfire and firework celebrations will continue to be held over the coming days and the Service is encouraging residents to follow our tips to staying safe:
• Don’t light bonfires in unsuitable weather, particularly in windy conditions. Be aware of where smoke is blowing also.
• Don’t leave bonfires unattended.
• If the bonfire has to be left it should be dampened down with water. Keep a bucket of water or a hosepipe handy just in case.
• Build bonfires well clear of buildings, fences and hedge.
• Never use flammable liquids to start the fire and never burn dangerous rubbish such as aerosols, paint, foam furniture, rubber tyres, batteries, etc.
• Before you light the bonfire, check children and animals are not hiding inside and are a safe distance away.
CFRS recommends going to an organised firework display instead of holding one at home. However, if you do intend to use fireworks at home:
• Buy fireworks marked BS 7114.
• Keep fireworks in a closed box and follow the instructions.
• Light them at arms length using a taper and stand well back.
• Never go back to a lit firework.
• Never put fireworks in your pocket.
• Never throw fireworks.
• Light sparklers one at a time and wear gloves. Sparklers can reach temperature of up to 2,000°C.
• Never give sparklers to children under five.
Note also that it is illegal to sell fireworks to anyone under the age of 18 and it is illegal for anyone under the age of 18 to possess fireworks in a public place It is also worth noting if you own a business or residential property with automatic fire alarms, ensure all windows are closed, otherwise smoke from a nearby bonfire could enter the building and set off the alarms system.