Cat dies in house fire cause by chip pan

0
Have your say

A CAT died and several animals needed to be rescued after a chip pan started a house fire in a Leverington house.

At 8.40pm last night (Thursday), one crew from Wisbech, one crew from West Walton and a victim support unit were called to a detached house in Ringers Lane.

Crews discovered it was a fire in the kitchen, which had been caused by a chip pan left on the stove for too long.

A woman, who was inside the property when the fire occurred, managed to escape and dialled 999.

Crews entered the smoke logged home wearing breathing apparatus and used two hose reels to extinguish the fire.

They rescued one golden Labrador and one golden retriever, both of which were given oxygen therapy by firefighters and were successfully resuscitated.

Crews also rescued two tortoises and a rabbit. One cat died.

Crews then cut away sections of the kitchen to ensure that there were no hot-spots remaining.

The house is now inhabitable and so crews organised for the victim support unit to offer alternative accommodation for the woman and her animals.

They returned to their fire station by 12.10am.

A fire service spokesperson said: “Chip pans can be extremely dangerous.

“If you are going to use a chip pan, ensure that you stay with it at all times and do not allow the oil to get so hot that it starts to smoke. If a fire does occur, never throw water on it, instead get out of the house as quickly as possible and dial 999.”

For further information, log onto www.cambsfire.gov.uk