Chatteris cueman Perry exits world championship in second round

Joe Perry during his match against Jamie Burnett during the Dafabet World Snooker Championships at The Crucible, Sheffield. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Monday April 21, 2014. See PA story SNOOKER World. Photo credit should read: Tim Goode/PA Wire EMN-140424-092240002
Joe Perry during his match against Jamie Burnett during the Dafabet World Snooker Championships at The Crucible, Sheffield. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Monday April 21, 2014. See PA story SNOOKER World. Photo credit should read: Tim Goode/PA Wire EMN-140424-092240002

Chatteris cueman Joe Perry exited the snooker World Championship at the second round stage to Shaun Murphy on Monday night.

Perry, who had cruised through the first round, had the proverbial mountain to climb after Murphy was 12-4 up overnight in Sheffield.

Perry clawed a frame back, but any chance of performing one of the great comebacks in Crucible history went when the 40-year-old missed a pink and Murphy pounced to eventually win 13-5 and reach the last eight.

Perry, who last month reached a career-high world ranking of ninth, said: “Shaun is a great front-runner and I never recovered from a bad start.

“The game can turn around, but at 7-1 you are just trying to get some pride and make it respectable.”

Perry pocketed prize money of £20,000.

Murphy is confident of repeating his world title win of 10 years ago.

After playing in a bright burgundy suit that made him resemble an overgrown bell-boy, the 32-year-old said: “I am playing the best snooker of my life.”

Perry earlier said he believed he can win the World Championship for the first time in his professional career of 23-years.

The former world semi-finalist safely got through the first round on Wednesday by defeating Chinese qualifier Zhang Anda 10-4.