Local choirs are being invited to enter a competition that could not only see them performing for an award-winning artist but also benefitting charity.
Charlie Landsborough, multi award-winning inspirational/country artist, is searching for choirs to open shows for his Autumn tour while at the same time raising money for Children in Need.
Having previously been a teacher before embarking on his musical career, Charlie has always recognised the vital role of music and choirs in the community. Now he has decided to play his part in creating a larger platform for local choral groups.
The Charlie Landsborough Amateur Choir Challenge will do just that. Not only will the winning choir get to perform on stage and the overall winner receive £1000, but the whole venture will benefit one of the UK’s most vital charities.
Choirs from across every tour area are invited to take part with the proceeds (£25 per entry) going to Children in Need. Charlie himself will be donating the royalties for a year from one of his best loved songs, ‘Special’.
Working in a deprived area during his teaching days, Charlie’s heart is very close to children and their needs and ‘Special’ was written for one particular little girl from his old school.
Charlie has recorded over 150 self-penned songs and each choir will be asked to submit a recording of one of these. There are plenty of styles to choose from – harmony, country, rock, blues, ballads and gospel.
The rules of the challenge are as follows:
• Choirs can have up to a maximum of 25 members including conductor. Choirs can be all male, all female, mixed, school choirs etc.
• Choirs can enter as many pre-recorded Charlie Landsborough original songs as they wish. Professional studio type recordings are not necessary, personal recording will be adequate.
• Cost of each entry is £25, reducing if more than one entry. The proceeds will go directly to the Charlie Landsborough Amateur Choir Challenge, all of which will go to the 2013 Children In Need Charity.
• The local media, along with Charlie, will independently judge the winning choir for each area.
• Each winning choir will open Charlie Landsborough’s concert on his UK 2013 Autumn Tour in their area. They will be able to sing two songs, at least one being a Charlie Landsborough original. (It is recommended that they choose numbers other than ‘What Colour Is The Wind’ and ‘Forever Friend’ which, due to their popularity, already feature as part of Charlie’s concert.)
• Each choir’s performance on the night will be recorded and these recordings will be judged by an independent panel. The overall winner will receive £1000 donated by Charlie Landsborough for their choir funds. If the choice of Charlie’s songs by the choirs have enough variation an album will be produced to be sold with all profits going to Children in Need.
• Recorded entries must be submitted by 31 July 2013. It is advisable, however, for choirs to send their entry forms in as early as possible (recordings can follow).
• Entry forms and further information can be found at: www.charlielandsborough.com
• Entries to be sent to: Charlie Landsborough Enterprises Ltd. PO Box 155, Wirral, CH31 9AS.