Clean sweep to prevent fire

0
Have your say

NEARLY 80 Cambridgeshire residents had a fire last winter that could have been avoided if their chimneys had been properly swept.

Firefighters attended 79 chimney fires across the county between October 2010 and April 2011.

And in December when it was very cold, crews attended a total of 18 chimney fires in just that month.

The vast majority of these fires were caused by a build up of soot and debris in the chimney.

This was closely followed by birds’ nests blocking the chimney and also cracks in the chimney breast.

Firefighters are encouraging residents to get their chimney swept now before they start using their fire again.