editorial image

CONTRACTORS working on Neale-Wade Community College in March were sent home on Thursday after traces of bacteria that can lead to potentially deadly Legionnaire’s disease were found in the water supply.

The sports hall and some of the mobile buildings were closed, leaving workers worried about exposure to the bacteria, which can lead to the potentially fatal form of pneumonia.

The school said a “minute trace” of the bacteria was found and precautionary action was carried out immediately.

A county council spokesman for Neale-Wade Community College said: “Following a routine check a minute trace of Legionella bacteria well below the acceptable safety limits was detected in the Sports Hall water system.

“Immediate action was taken and as a precautionary measure the water in the buildings affected was not used until maintenance work had been completed and the water checked. This was completed within hours and the Sports Hall reopened.”