Funeral directors return Wisbech building to former glory

Coggles have opened a new site in Wisbech
Coggles have opened a new site in Wisbech
0
Have your say

A building which has stood vacant for more than 20 years has re-opened as a funeral home.

A J Coggles, founded in 1851, now has a base in Wisbech after renovating Flint House in Lynn Road.

The renovated Flint House

The renovated Flint House

The 18th century Regency Gothic building was home to the Smedley family between 1924 and the Second World War and was later offices until the 1990s, before becoming vacant.

The interior has been renovated to reflect the splendour of the exterior and includes two Chapels of Rest, two family rooms and a reception area.

Coggles welcomed people to look around the renovated building during an opening ceremony.

John Coggles, current head of the family and business, is pleased to bring the building back into use.

He said: “Flint House was the first property we looked at in Wisbech. As soon as we saw it we knew it was the right place.

“We have had several comments from people who say how welcoming and warm the building is.”

Mr Coggles, who works alongside his children Helen, David and George, is particularly proud of the windows which are reported to have come from Sandringham House after some demolition work in the 20th century.

The firm has thanked town mayor, David Hodgson, for opening the building and the Rev Ryk Parkinson for the prayers of dedication for the building.

A J Coggles have bases in Lynn and Downham.