A NORFOLK police officer who was found in a public toilet cubicle with another man, some pornography and a sexual stimulant has had his case thrown out by magistrates.

Anthony Lamb (42), of 91 Sutton Road, Leverington, and co-defendant Michael Newton (60), of 6 Lowick Gardens, Peterborough, both denied engaging in sexual activity in the Exchange Square public toilets, in Wisbech, on July 25.

However, Fenland Magistrates found there was no case to answer for Lamb and Newton after it was found there was no proof of any sexual activity taking place. Earlier, Sylvia Cundell, prosecuting, told the court how police had been alerted to attend the toilets by a member of public and, on arrival, saw two sets of feet in one cubicle.

The officers asked the men to vacate the cubicle and heard the sound of a carrier bag rustling. Police found five pornographic magazines in the bag carried by Lamb and amylnitrate – a sexual stimulant also known as ‘poppers’ – on an outside window ledge.

Lamb, a police officer based at Downham Market, admitted to police he had the items from an affair he had been having earlier in the year.

He explained he had taken the magazines and stimulant into the toilet to get rid of them, but when he got there he noticed someone was using one of the cubicles and thought he could give them away.

However, when he got in the cubicle with the other man he realised what he was doing and was about to leave when the police arrived.

Newton, meanwhile, said Lamb had been exposing himself to him from the neighbouring cubicle and then accosted him in his own cubicle, giving him the ‘poppers’ to sniff and saying: “Let’s have some fun.”

Anita Waterman, representing Lamb, explained to magistrates there was no proof that any sexual activity had taken place, a submission also argued by David Chapple, representing Newton.

Peter Waterfield, presiding magistrate, said the Crown had not proved any intention of sexual activity or that any had taken place and both men had blamed each other.

The case was dismissed and both men were released.


Back to the top of the page