A pet dog has been left unable to walk after being savaged by a Staffordshire bull terrier cross while out for a walk.
Traumastised Anne Eldridge has told how she watched in horror as the aggressive animal clamped its jaw around her neighbour’s dog and “shook him around like a teddy bear”.
The dog’s teeth punctured either side of the defenceless Bichon Frise’s spine, and has left him unable to use both of his front legs.
Mrs Eldridge wants to make others aware of the attack, which happened while the dog was roaming free without an owner in Murrow, as she fears a child may be next.
Tony and Jackie Wilkes, who own the Bichon Frise called Benny, also face a veterinary bill running into thousands of pounds to make him walk again and are appealing for help.
Mrs Eldridge was taking Benny for his morning walk while Mr and Mrs Wilkes were at work at about 10.45am last Friday when the vicious attack happened.
They were walking down the alleyway between Front Road and Back Road, when the black and brown brindle Staffi cross appeared in front of them.
“It just ran up to Benny and starting ripping him to shreds,” explained Mrs Eldridge.
“I bent down to pick Benny up but it jumped through my arms and got him again. It shook him around like a teddy bear.”
Disabled Mrs Eldridge, who is disabled, was forced to kick the dog twice before it let Benny go and ran off.
She said: “I didn’t like kicking the dog as I love dogs, I’ve got three of my own, but I thought Benny was going to die.
“I can’t put into words how bad I feel as I was looking after their little dog and this happened. It’s the worst experience of my life.”
The incident was reported to police, but officers said they couldn’t do anything unless it was a person who was attacked.
Mrs Eldridge said people need to be aware of the dog before another dog or child is seriously injured, or even killed.
“You hear about children being attacked by dogs all the time on the news and I’m worried that will happen,” she said.
“I’m not sure if it was a stray dog or whether it got out of its home without its owner noticing. If anyone knows this dog is theirs, hopefully they will make sure this doesn’t happen again or even make a donation to help make Benny better.”
Benny, who is ten-years-old, was taken to Mill House Veterinary Surgery and Hospital in King’s Lynn and initially treated for shock. An x-ray revealed no broken bones and he was kept in for 24 hours.
It is believed he is unable to walk as the dog’s bite damaged his spine. His front left leg was damaged the most, and it may have to be amputated.
Mr Wilkes, who moved from Essex to Murrow with his wife just three months ago, said he was heartbroken when he learned what happened.
“We didn’t think he was going to pull through but luckily he is starting to brighten up,” he said. “If he hears you come through the door he tries to get up and run towards you, but he just collapses.”
Mr Wilkes said Benny’s treatment has already cost in excess of £500, and vets have said he will need an MRI scan, which costs between £800 and £1,000 on its own, before any follow-up surgery.