A disused Victorian fire station will now be protected after being granted listed building status.
The Old Fire Engine House in Elm is now formally a Grade II listed building after an application by Wisbech Society was approved by the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, Sajid Javid.
The single room brick building was constructed in 1847 and is a rare surviving example of an early fire station.
Wisbech Society submitted the application to the Government, supported by English Heritage, after concerns were raised by several villagers.
Plans have been submitted to convert the adjacent Church Hall buildings into homes.
Wisbech Society chairman, Ray Johnson, is thrilled the application was approved.
He said: “It is not just stately homes or the fine Georgian properties in Wisbech that are worthy of protection.
“Even the simplest buildings have a story to impart and to have lost this building would be to have lost an important part of Elm’s and Fenland’s heritage.
“We are pleased that the Secretary of State agreed with our application to ensure the future of Elm Fire Engine House.”
The Fire Engine House was purposely constructed before the great age of national fire engine construction in the 1860s.
During the Second World War, it was requisitioned by the Government for use by the Elm Home Guard and as a storage facility for the War Office, who paid Elm Parish Church compensation for its use according to records held in Whitehall, the Elm Parish chest and the Wisbech and Fenland Museum.