Remembering the fallen during re-dedication of Snettisham’s War Memorial

The Re-Dedication of Snettisham War Memorial ANL-140807-100022009

The Re-Dedication of Snettisham War Memorial ANL-140807-100022009

The great-great grandchildren of a soldier killed in the First World War laid a wreath during a moving service to re-dedicate the village war memorial that bears his name.

Freya and Theo Lincoln, aged five and three respectively, remembered their ancestor Charles during a special service on Monday to mark the refurbishment of Snettisham War Memorial.

Three years ago, concerns were raised about the stability of the memorial after some of the carrstones were found to be crumbling.

But now the memorial has been returned to its former glory thanks to the efforts of three craftsman, Frimstone and Snettisham Parish Council.

An estimated 300 people, including many families of the men listed on the memorial, went along to watch the service, which included a Tornado fly-past and a parade.

Another highlight was the determination shown by 93-year-old Second World War veteran Bill Peterken who insisted on leaving his electric wheelchair and walking to the memorial to lay a wreath and pay homage.

Parish council chairman Eric Langford said: “It was an emotional and moving ceremony.

“It was lovely to have some of the families of the names on the memorial present.”

The service started with a parade to the memorial featuring five Royal British Legion standards, servicemen from RAF Marham along with air, army and sea cadets.

When the procession arrived in the square, the Salvation Army Band stopped playing apart from a lonely drum beat.

At 6pm, a Tornado flew over the memorial.

The dedication was undertaken by the Bishop of Lynn, the Rt Rev Jonathan Meyrick.

The service also included the laying of wreaths, which saw the Lincoln children being helped by Rt Hon Lord Robert Fellowes.

Hunstanton Community Choir also gave a performance.

The service was followed by refreshments in the Royal British Legion hall.

Mr Langford said: “It was a sunny evening until 7pm when we returned the legion when the heavens opened.”

He has thanked carrstone builder Jeff Milner, carrstone cutter Aaron Rate and dresser Paul Ames for donating their time.




Back to the top of the page