Plant nursery owner David Green is blaming a fire at his business last night (Monday) on a stray firework.
Around 60 pallets of plastic plant pots and trays at Chapel Cottage Plants in Hook Road, Wimblington, went up in flames at just before 7.30pm. He said a lorry trailer and two agricultural trailers, along with horticultural equipment, were also damaged.
Mr Green said the cost of the damage is likely to come to between £30,000 and £40,000.
Two crews from March, one crew from Chatteris, one crew from Manea and one crew from Wisbech were in attendance and crews returned to their fire stations by 10.40pm.
The fire service are putting the cause of the fire down to a bonfire which spread, although Mr Green said he was unaware of a bonfire, which is why he believes it was a firework.
Sean Brown, Incident Commander said: “We would urge residents not to build bonfires too big and to ensure that they build them well away from buildings, vegetation and other flammable items.
“Bonfires should also be attended at all times and residents should ensure that they keep a bucket of water or a hosepipe handy in case the fire starts to spread.”
Further safety information on bonfires is available on www.cambsfire.gov.uk