MARCH: Chimney warning after house fire

MHBG-20-09-12  Fire Engine
MHBG-20-09-12 Fire Engine
0
Have your say

The message about sweeping chimneys before using them has once again been reiterated by Cambs Fire Service after a house fire in March yesterday (Tuesday).

At 12.45pm, crews from Chatteris, Wisbech and Whittlesey, plus a turntable ladder from Dogsthorpe, were called to a fire starting from a chimney on Whittlesey Road in March.

Firefighters used a hose reels to extinguish the fire and returned to their stations by 3.00pm. The cause of the fire was accidental.

A spokesperson for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “As the weather gets colder, more and more people will be using their open fires for heating.

“What they need to realise is that over the summer months their chimney are likely to have become blocked by birds nesting and general debris falling into the chimney.

“For this reason it is imperative that householders with working chimneys get them swept before they start using them.”

Further information on how to prevent a chimney fire, visit www.cambsfire.gov.uk