Parson Drove woman saved by carbon monoxide alarm

L36904H14

Carbon Monoxide Alarm Alan and Sue Everson SUS-140109-160828001
L36904H14 Carbon Monoxide Alarm Alan and Sue Everson SUS-140109-160828001
0
Have your say

Firefighters say a carbon monoxide alarm has saved the life of a Parson Drove woman.

Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue is calling on homeowners with open fires or fuel burners to ensure that they have a working alarm following the incident on Thursday.

Crews from Wisbech and March were called to a home in Harold’s Bank just after 11.35am.

The woman called out the fire service after her alarm went off.

She was checked over by paramedics after she began to feel unwell.

Crews ventilated the home.

Watch Commander John Chelton, who is based at Wisbech Fire Station, said: “A carbon monoxide alarm has saved the life of a resident and, had it not been fitted, circumstances could have been very different.

“Luckily this resident heard the alarm go off and eventually called the fire service and left the property.

“We later found out the alarm had gone off a number of other times since the homeowners fitted the multi-fuel burner at the end of last year, indicating there was a problem with fumes escaping and potentially putting the lives of the two residents that live in the property at risk.

“We would urge anyone who has a fuel-burning device, like a multi-fuel burner or an open fire, to fit a carbon monoxide alarm.

“If the alarm ever sounds and you can smell fumes or are concerned, do not hesitate, call 999 immediately and leave the property.”