PICTURES: Fire at Wisbech shops

Fire above the Norwich and Peterbrough building society in Wisbech Market Place ANL-150420-121121009
Fire above the Norwich and Peterbrough building society in Wisbech Market Place ANL-150420-121121009

An electrical fault sparked smoke to billow from two Wisbech town centre shops yesterday (Sunday, April 19).

Firefighters from Lynn and Stanground were called to the First Choice and Norwich and Peterborough units in Market Place.

Firefighters forced their way into the ground floor, wearing breathing apparatus, and searched every floor. Ladders and specialist equipment was also used on the outside of the property.

A fire was discovered in the wooden fascia between the two buildings, resulting in smoke seeping through into both properties.

The fire service used positive pressure ventilation to clear smoke from the buildings.

Crews returned to their stations by 4.40pm.

The cause of the fire was an electrical fault.