Swift action after electrical fire in Wisbech Ferry Project premises

A SMALL electrical fire broke out at Ferry Project’s premises in Norfolk Street in the early hours of Tuesday (February 1).

No one was injured and the duty staff and residents were able to evacuate the building quickly and safely.

The fire brigade attended swiftly after the call at 1.20am to put out the fire and ensure the premises were safe.

Residents were alerted to the fire by a smoke alarm, and all occupants were accounted for on arrival of firefighters.

This was a small fire on the ground floor of the property caused by an electrical cable.

Firefighters had to cut away surrounding wood and extinguish the fire using CO2 extinguishers while they waited for the power supply to be isolated.

There was limited damage to the building and alternative shelter was found for the residents.

The shelter will remain closed in the short term until Ferry Project is confident that it is safe to reopen the premises.

Chairman of Ferry Project, Chan Abraham, said: “I pay tribute to Ferry Project staff as well as the fire service, who responded to this situation with calmness and great speed.

“At this stage we have had limited information about the cause of the fire being a faulty external main electrical cable and are waiting for detailed update from the company whose cable provides the electricity service to the building. “Meanwhile I am pleased to confirm that all the residents and staff are in good spirits.”

Sean Brown, district manager for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: “As this fire occurred late at night, the residents were alerted to it by a smoke alarm. Having a working smoke alarm will alert you to a fire early, giving you longer to escape.

“Make sure you have a working smoke alarm fitted on every floor of your house, and test it is working once a week.”

Power was cut off to Norfolk Street and the nearby area, including the traffic lights at the junction of Churchill Road and Norwich Road. However it was back on later in the day.