IT’S time to start digging for glory in our annual March Gardens Competition.
We are looking to crown a new crop of champion gardeners in March who have managed to make their gardens a credit - despite the weather!
The Citizen, in conjunction with March Town Council’s March in Bloom group, is launching the popular competition which carries top prizes donated by generous local businesses.
This is the 17th year of the competition. Category winners from previous years who enter will be placed in the Champion of Champions category. Previous winners will not be eligible to enter any of the other categories.
Our sponsors this year are March businesses Johnson’s Ironmongers, West End DIY, Selby and Taylor Opticians, March Town Council and a new sponsor this year is Skylark Country Store and Garden Centre of Manea Road, Wimblington.
If you want to stake your claim send a picture of your garden to the Citizen as soon as possible - don’t leave it to the last minute to enter.
Mark your entry ‘March Gardens Competition’ and remember to state which category you are entering, your address and a day time contact number.
Post your entry to the Fenland Citizen at 11 Union Street, Wisbech, Cambs PE13 1DN.
The closing date for entries is June 13. The judges will be out looking at the gardens on July 7.
Entries can also be sent via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org Remember to include all the above details with the picture. Emailed pictures must be in jpg format and no bigger than 2MB
Some of the photographs may be featured in the Citizen in the build-up to the competition and all entries will be forwarded to the judges.
The prizes will be presented at a special reception hosted at March Town Hall - the date of which is to be announced.
SPONSORS, prizes and categories are:
• BEST OVERALL GARDEN (chosen from the various category winners). Prize £50 sponsored by March Town Council.
• CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS (for entrants who are category winners of previous years). Prize £50 sponsored by March Town Council.
• LARGE GARDENS (200sq metres and above). Prize £50 in vouchers sponsored by West End DIY at March.
SMALL GARDENS (below 200 sq metres). Prize of £50 in vouchers from Skylark Country Store and Garden Centre.
• PENSIONERS’ GARDEN Prize of a complete feeding station kit with food for wildbirds worth around £40 sponsored by Johnsons Ironmongers, of March.
• BUSINESS (open to any March commercial activity). Prize is the annual shield sponsored by Selby and Taylor Opticians, of March.