Warning after fire in Chatteris shop

0
Have your say

CAMBS Fire and Rescue has issued a warning about regular testing of electrical cables and appliances following a fire in a Chatteris shop.

Three fire crews were called to a grocery shop in East Park Street at 8.45pm last night (Tuesday).

The fire was on the ground floor of the shop, which is in a two storey building, and is believed to have started accidentally in an electrical cable.

Paul Clarke, Station Manager for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “When the first crew arrived from Chatteris, they were met with a rapidly developing fire and immediately called for back up.

“The room where the fire started was lined with wood panels with polystyrene installation which led the fire to spread very rapidly.

“Because of this crews did a fantastic job in containing the fire to the room where the fire started. The rest of the ground floor is damaged by smoke, but crucially has not been damaged by fire.

“Electrical fires are more common than people might think and we recommend periodic testing of electrical cables and appliances in both homes and businesses as a way of preventing this.”

Crews entered the shop wearing breathing apparatus and extinguished the fire using three hose reels and two jets. They returned to their fire stations by 11.35pm.

Further information on how to prevent an electrical fire, go to www.cambsfire.gov.uk