Warning after house fire

0
Have your say

A FIRE chief has warned of the dangers of smoking in bed after a man had to be rescued from a house fire believed to have been started by a dropped cigarette.

Three fire crews attended the blaze at a home in Dock Road, Chatteris in the early hours of Wednesday morning after neighbours heard the smoke alarm and spotted smoke coming from the property and called 999.

Firefighters from Chatteris, Manea and Sutton attended the incident at around 3.45am.

A man was rescued from the house after firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the property through the rear.

He was suffering from smoke inhalation and was treated at the scene by paramedics.

the cause of the fire is believed to have been a dropped cigarette.

Mick Jackman, station commander for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: “This incident demonstrates why you should never smoke late at night when you are tired or drunk, as it is very easy to fall asleep and drop a cigarette starting a fire.

“A fire started by a dropped cigarette is more likely to injure you as it starts so close by, and it only takes a small amount of toxic smoke to render you unconscious.

“This incident could have been a lot worse if not for the working smoke alarm which alerted neighbours to the fire and allowed firefighters to rescue the casualty before it is too late.”