Cubberley unlikely to make Wisbech return

SCOTT Cubberley became the second former Wisbech Town player released by neighbours King’s Lynn at the weekend.

Last week Billy Smith was shown the door and was quickly snapped up by Fenmen boss Steve Appleby.

Appleby said at the time: “Billy did a good job for the club last season and I told him when he left the door was always open. He will need games and was happy to play for the reserves to start with.”

Smith, Cubberley, Robbie Harris and Alex Street all moved from Wisbech to Lynn in the summer and were later followed by Stuart Ablett, but only goalkeeper Street has been able to hold down a regular place.

There has been no contact by club and player as yet but, with a full complement of strikers and Smith back too, it seems unlikely that Wisbech will increase a big squad to accommodate Cubberley at the moment.

Appleby is looking for three points from Saturday’s game against Norwich United at the Tom Wood’s Beer Fenland Stadium weather permitting.

Scott Johnson is missing for the next two weeks but Darren Jimson, Aaron Turner and Stacy Cartwight, who missed the Woodbridge game, should be back.

Appleby commented: “We have a run of games against teams around us in the table and must starting picking up maximum points.”