BREAKING NEWS: Man arrested in connection with shooting incident

A SHOT was allegedly fired this afternoon (Monday) as police swooped to arrest a 40-year-old man in connection with the A47 shooting incident on Saturday.

The man, from the Wisbech area, was arrested in Leverington on suspicion of attempted murder.

A police spokesman confirmed a shot was fired when officers tried to apprehend the man, who is currently in custody at Thorpe Wood Police Station in Peterborough.

The A47, Fenland’s busiest road, was closed for nearly 12 hours on Saturday between Guyhirn and Wisbech, while forensic officers scoured the scene where a silver Audi car left the road before flipping on its roof and ending in a ditch.

A 25-year-old man from Guyhirn suffered non-life threatening injuries in the incident, which involved two cars and happened at around 4am.

He was taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, King’s Lynn, but discharged himself on Sunday morning.

A police spokesman confirmed on Saturday night that a firearm had been involved in the incident and shots had been fired.

Residents in nearby Rings End reported hearing gunfire in the early hours, with some speculating the shots had been fired from moving vehicles.

One, a 43-year-old father-of-three, who didn’t want to be named, was woken by the sound of two gun shots in quick succession in the early hours, and heard a third about 30 seconds.

By mid-day on Saturday a number of police vehicles were at the scene, including a scientific support unit.

Investigators wearing protective overalls were on site and an area of the tree-lined verge was cordoned off with police tape, while the road remained closed between the Guyhirn roundabout and the Redmoor Lane roundabout at Wisbech for most of the day.

Diversions were in place sending drivers via March, Friday Bridge and Elm to rejoin the A47.

Police have appealed for witnesses or anyone with information about the incident to contact them on 101 or call Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800-555-111.