Electrical fault could have sparked March bungalow

Bungalow fire at Kelsey Way in March ANL-140529-123019009
Bungalow fire at Kelsey Way in March ANL-140529-123019009

Firefighters had to cut away parts of a March bungalow’s roof after a blaze broke out in a loft.

Three fire engines were called to Kelsey Way on Wednesday afternoon last week after flames and smoke were seen billowing from the building.

The blaze is believed to have been sparked by an electrical fault with the gas boiler.

Firefighters were forced to cut away sections of the roof to ventilate the property.

Station Commander Jerome Neville, incident commander, said: “Crews at this incident did a very good job, meaning that although the property has suffered some serious damage, it has not been completely lost.

“There is considerable smoke and heat damage to the majority of the property and unfortunately this was because a lot of the doors in the house were not closed.

“The best way to prevent a fire spreading is to keep the doors of your property closed and we would encourage residents to do this whenever possible and to always have a correctly fitted working smoke alarm.

“This boiler had been serviced recently but let this incident be a timely reminder to homeowners to make sure their boiler is regularly serviced and looked after properly.”