Home   News   Article

Fire breaks out at Friday Bridge home

No Caption ABCDE ENGANL00120130627151941
No Caption ABCDE ENGANL00120130627151941

An incorrectly fitted wood burner sparked a blaze at a home in Friday Bridge.

Two crews from Wisbech were called to the house fire in Main Road yesterday (Thursday).

A fire had broken out in a first floor bedroom of a property involving a wood burner and surrounding fittings.

Firefighters had to cut away at the floor to ensure the fire was out and check for hotspots. Crews also isolated the electrics, which had been affected.

Watch Commander John Chelton said: “This fire was caused by an incorrectly fitted wood burner, which resulted in a smouldering fire starting in and around the wood burner.

“The residents smelt burning and discovered the fire, meaning it was caught in the early stages. Damage has been caused to the floor and joists of the property but it could have been a lot worse if it wasn’t detected in the early stages.

“The message here is to ensure any wood burner is correctly fitted; read the instructions carefully and most importantly, make sure you have a working smoke alarm on each floor of your property.”

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More