Home   News   Article

First class effort for March postie

March postman Nick Winterton with his London to Cambridge Ultra Walk medal
March postman Nick Winterton with his London to Cambridge Ultra Walk medal

Postman Nick Winterton certainly delivered when he undertook a 62-mile non-stop Ultra walk in aid of Great Ormond Street Hospital.

The March postie completed the London to Cambridge Ultra Challenge Walk in a gruelling 28 hours, non-stop, to raise £2,040 for the London children’s hospital.

It’s the fourth – and toughest – long distance walk he has undertaken and he has now raised more than £7,000 for charity.

Over the past three years Nick has also conquered a 44-mile Norfolk Coast walk, plus 25-mile efforts along Hadrian’s Wall and the Jurassic Coast Walk in Dorset – and he has set himself an even tougher test for Great Ormond Street Hospital next year!

Next August he will tackle the 62-mile South Coast Ultra Walk over an undulating route from Eastbourne to Arundel.

He said: “It’s going to be tougher than the London to Cambridge walk – but it’s such a good cause.

“The ultimate highlight was being invited to Great Ormond Street Hospital to visit the Sky ward and see the improvements being made with all the money raised.

“As a father of two children myself I found it hard to concentrate with a lump in my throat – the reality is life or death for many of the children without the specialist treatment or equipment.

“That was the point when I vowed to myself that I would always do something to raise money for the hospital.”

The £2,040 he raised on the London to Cambridge Ultra walk is a personal record for Nick – but he admits it was a tough personal challenge.

He explained: “My schedule didn’t allow any time for training, so my main targets were to complete it and raise as much money as possible for a fantastic children’s charity.

“You have to stay on your feet the whole time until you’ve completed the walk, which is through varying terrain and conditions.

“There was no overnight rest. I was walking in the dark with a head torch on and got a kind of motion sickness.

“I felt quite ill because your body wants to shut down at night.

“The only stops are for refreshments and medical treatment and many walkers don’t finish it.

“Within five minutes of finishing it all I was as stiff as a board! But the real heroes are the people who put their hands in their pockets to sponsor me.”

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More