Home   News   Article

Subscribe Now

March woman in court after causing unnecessary suffering to greyhound, who had a 14cm tumour on snout

*Warning – graphic image below*

A woman has been banned from keeping all animals for life after she failed to provide veterinary treatment for her dog’s large tumour which covered her snout and muzzle.

Colette Carre, 57, of Acacia Grove, March, appeared before Cambridge Crown Court for sentencing on January 5.

Defa was found underweight and with a severe tumor on her snout
Defa was found underweight and with a severe tumor on her snout

She had pleaded guilty to causing unnecessary suffering to a female greyhound type dog called Defa by failing to provide prompt or adequate professional veterinary care and attention for signs of ill health – namely the large tumorous mass on her snout/muzzle, weight loss and her poor bodily condition.

As well as a lifetime ban on keeping all animals, she was given a 15-month prison sentence, suspended for 12 months, and a community order to include 12 mental health treatment requirement sessions and 10 rehabilitation activity requirement days.

She was also ordered to pay a £187 victim surcharge.

The defendant had made an appointment to have Defa put to sleep, and concerns were raised over the condition of the dog and the matter was reported to the RSPCA.

Witnesses said Defa was in an emaciated condition and there was a strong smell of putrefaction.

She had a large ulcerated tumorous mass described as the size of a grapefruit on the front of her mouth and snout.

The tumour dimensions were approximately 14cm in diameter (side to side) and 7cm (front to back) in dimension.

A vet who examined Defa said in a statement that she was emaciated and had a large putrefying and necrosing tumour over her upper jaw obliterating the nostrils and there was an overpowering smell of rotting flesh and purulent discharge.

This would affect the dog’s ability to eat, drink and pant.

The examination was also consistent with dehydration and Defa was hungry but could not eat, and the tumour itself would have been incredibly painful and the dog suffered for at least two months, before being put to sleep.

Inspector Knight said after the case: “We as pet owners have a responsibility to do the right thing for our animals – sadly this was not the case for poor Defa.

“It would not take any medical or veterinary expertise to see Defa was suffering and should have been taken to a vet sooner.”

The judge in the case commented that he was not sure his stomach had ever turned so much by what had seen – referring to the photos of Defa.

In mitigation, the defendant said it was a result of mental health issues and financial difficulties.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More