House fire in Wisbech

Share this article

THREE fire crews were called to a house fire on De Havilland Road in Wisbech earlier this afternoon (Tuesday).

Two crews from Wisbech and a crew from Outwell used two hose reels and one jet to extinguish the fire.

They returned to their fire stations by 3.05pm.

The cause of the fire was accidental and is believed to have been due to carelessly discarded smoking materials.

A fire service spokesperson said: “The best way to reduce the risk of a house fire is to smoke outside. However, if you must smoke inside, always use a stable ashtray that can’t easily be knocked over and ensure you extinguish each cigarette fully.

“If you smoke inside it is also vital that you have a working smoke alarm, so that if there is a fire, you are alerted to it quickly, allowing you and your family time to escape.”