Leverington couple prove love conquers all

Andy Watts with wife Charlie and their boys Ronnie, Frankie and Tobie
Andy Watts with wife Charlie and their boys Ronnie, Frankie and Tobie

A couple who fell in love as children but lost touch after their families moved away have finally tied the knot.

Andy Watts. 33, and Charlie Hayes, 32, who live in Leverington, have not had an easy trip to the altar following a 10-year gap and overcoming a range of problems.

The couple have defied doctors’ predictions to have three children, along with surviving injuries following a car crash.

But they finally said “I do” during a white wedding at St Leonard’s Church in Leverington.

Mrs Hayes-Watts, who part owns Clippers Barbers in Wisbech, said: “It feels like we are complete now.”

Love first blossomed for the pair when they were children living in London.

Mrs Hayes-Watts said: “We first got together when I was 11. We both wore braces and my dad warned that we would have to go to hospital if we kissed!

“We were together for a year but unfortunately Andy’s family moved to Cambridgeshire.

“It didn’t end officially, but we just lost contact.”

But 10 years later they were brought back together after Mrs Hayes-Watts’ sister, Danielle, put her on the Friends Reunited website.

Mrs Hayes-Watts, who had moved to Fenland at the age of 15, said: “He emailed and we went on from there.

“You never forget that special one.”

A short time later, Mr Watts, who works as a blood runner for the NHS, popped the question during a Valentine’s Day break to Prague.

The couple dreamed of having a family but were told their chances were slim to none as Mrs Hayes-Watts had endometriosis.

After a round of IVF, she fell pregnant with Ronnie, who is now five. She said: “I couldn’t believe I was pregnant but after 19 tests it finally sunk in.”

After Ronnie’s birth in 2009, Mrs Hayes-Watts fell pregnant again with Frankie, who is now three.

But things did not go quite to plan when Mrs Hayes-Watts was badly injured after a car accident in Weasenham Lane when she was 19 weeks pregnant. Her pelvis was broken in three places and she suffered internal bleeding and a head injury. She was constantly monitored throughout the pregnancy and suffered a series of false labours.

But Frankie decided to arrive two weeks early and there were complications during the birth after a cord prolapse.

Mrs Hayes-Watts said: “It was frightening. I didn’t care about myself, I just wanted them to get my baby out.

“It was such a big relief to finally hold him.”

Frankie was followed by Tobie, who is now two.

The couple put off getting married in order to start a family and buy their home but finally decided to tie the knot.

Mrs Hayes-Watts, said: “It was the most nerve-racking thing but we had a great day.”

The couple were supported on the big day by their families including Christopher and Cheryl Watts, Patrick Hayes and Ruth and Paul Whitehurst.