Home   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Lost images of Wisbech made available in new book

Unseen historic photos of Wisbech that proved hugely popular when they went on display for the first time last year have been made available in a new book.

‘Lost Images of Wisbech’, which officially launches outside Wisbech Museum in Museum Square on Saturday, 19 June, is now on sale for £5 per book – with all proceeds going towards the museum.

The book is packed with a collection of photos which were originally taken by engineers at the former Wisbech Borough Council in around the 1940s and 50s. Only recently discovered in the archives at Fenland District Council, the collection features images of war damage, the town centre, the river and old canal, as well as new roads and housing schemes.

View from the top of the fire station looking across Horsefair. (48096497)
View from the top of the fire station looking across Horsefair. (48096497)

The Council’s Wisbech High Street Project first put the images on public display in September last year when it held an online photography exhibition as part of the national Heritage Open Days event.

The project was so overwhelmed by the response to the photos that with the support of The National Lottery Heritage Fund, which funds the project, it decided to make the images, plus several more unseen ones, available in a book.

‘Lost Images of Wisbech’ is split into four different categories – Around Town, War Damage, New Schemes and Improvements and River, Canal and Port.

Nene Parade, Mills Brewery site 1944-45. (48096492)
Nene Parade, Mills Brewery site 1944-45. (48096492)

Councillor Chris Seaton, Fenland’s portfolio holder responsible for heritage, said: “Many, if not all of these images, had never been seen or published before and offer a wonderful insight into the town and surrounding area during a period of great change when cameras were not as widely used as today. The photos, taken to record significant developments by the town’s engineers, can now be enjoyed by a wider audience.”

The book will be launched at the Museum on next Saturday (19) during the opening of its School's Summer Showcase exhibition, from 10am to 4pm. Advance booking is required, please see the museum’s website for further information: www.wisbechmuseum.org.uk. Only this temporary exhibition will be accessible on the day, as the Museum’s main galleries will remain closed to the public throughout the current building work.

Copies of ‘Lost Images of Wisbech’ will initially be available from the Museum (see their website for opening times). For further information or to find out other ways to get a copy visit the Wisbech High Street Project website at www.highstreetwisbech.org.uk or contact Taleyna Fletcher on 01354 622210.

View from the east bank of the old Wisbech canal. (48096487)
View from the east bank of the old Wisbech canal. (48096487)

For more information on the Wisbech High Street Project, visit www.highstreetwisbech.org.uk or follow the project on Facebook and Twitter for updates.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More