New council office named after Thomas author

Share this article

THE public have voted to name Cambridgeshire County Council’s new Wisbech office facility Awdry House after the famous creator of children’s favourite Thomas the Tank Engine.

The building will be named after Reverend Wilbert Awdry (1911-1997) who was Vicar of Emneth near Wisbech from 1953-1965 and who was also the author of the famous ‘Thomas the Tank Engine’ children’s books.

This connection is very important as the Council will deliver a range of Children’s and Young People’s Services from the building, which will also be co-located with a number of partner organisations.

The new £6.5 million office facility will replace several outdated properties in the town (4-6 Stermyn Street, 100 Churchill Road and the Queen Mary Centre) and will be located adjacent to the College of West Anglia (COWA).

The building is part of the County Council’s investment in Wisbech as well as bringing services and agencies under one roof to make it easier for people to access services.

A public vote was held on the Shape Your Place website – - to name the new facility.

Construction is due to start on site on April 23 for the office facility and the building is expected to be completed by Easter 2013.

At the same time as the new office facility a new £7.2 million Technology Centre is being built for the College students. The multi-million build project is being part funded by the County Council (£5 million) and Fenland District Council (£1.5 million) and will include state-of-the-art workshop facilities for engineering, motorsports, motor vehicle engineering and electrical and electro-technical programmes.

A ground breaking ceremony was held at the College on March 30 to mark the start of the construction phase and the building is expected to be completed by Easter 2013.