Operators of park where Wisbech man drowned make new plea to 'stay safe for summer'
The owners of a beauty spot where a Wisbech man tragically died earlier this month have launched a new campaign pleading with visitors to stay out of its waters.
The move by the owners of the Bawsey Country Park comes nearly two weeks after twenty-year-old Radek Gina died in the latest fatal incident to befall the site in recent years.
An online petition demanding safety improvements at the park has already had more than 1,300 signatures.
But Bawsey Ltd, which operates the park, has launched a Stay Safe Summer message which it hopes will encourage visitors to avoid taking unnecessary risks in its lakes over the coming weeks.
In a statement this morning, the company said: "With the recent tragic event and the summer holidays on the horizon, it is even more vital that visitors are aware of the park rules, respect them and follow them.
"Any body of water can come with dangers. It is important to be aware of these and understand how to act in the event of an emergency."
The campaign is highlighting safety guidance issued by the RNLI about the potential risks of swimming in cold water and what to do if you get into difficulty or see anyone else in trouble.
The statement added: "We reiterate our plea for visitors to Bawsey Country Park, or any similar location, to be aware of the rules and follow them. Share this information with friends, family and make this a STAY SAFE SUMMER."
The company had already urged visitors to stay out of the water following Mr Gina's death there on June 16.
His death was the second at the site in less than a year and the fourth there since the start of 2013.
And a petition set up via the change.org website by Mr Gina's family, which has been signed by around 1,400 people so far, argues the safety measures in place at the site are not working.
But the company claims it has made "significant improvements" to the park, including increased safety signage, regular warden patrols and the installation of emergency throwlines.
It says staff are trained to use the equipment, while the park's website offers links to safety advice published in multiple languages.
The statement added: "With all these measures, the site is more prepared than ever before."