Council Tax problems? Get in contact with us

Fenland District Council News from the Fenland Citizen,, @FenlandCit on Twitter
Fenland District Council News from the Fenland Citizen,, @FenlandCit on Twitter

If you have a query about your Council Tax or any problems paying it, don’t delay – contact Fenland District Council at once.

That is the council’s advice to anyone concerned about the bill they have received for 2014/15.

Council Tax bills sent to all residents in Fenland last month (March) showed the overall rise this year as 1.8 per cent, taking into account increases announced by Cambridgeshire County Council, Cambridgeshire Police Authority and some parish and town councils. Fenland District Council has frozen its own share.

Councillor Michael Humphrey, FDC’s Cabinet member responsible for finance, said: “Although we collect Council Tax, we only control our own share of it. We decided not to increase that share because we recognise that times remain hard for many people and we want to do all in our power to help them.

“Anyone who does have problems should contact us straightaway to discuss the best way forward for them.”

Some people on low incomes and with limited savings are entitled to claim Council Tax Support (CTS). However, the amount of support available to those who qualify has had to be reduced because the Government has withdrawn the one-off grant it provided last year.

As a result, those of working age who qualify for CTS will have to pay 14 per cent of the tax rather than the 8.5 per cent they paid last year. Pensioners will continue to qualify for CTS that covers up to their whole Council Tax bill where their income, savings and household make-up allows for this.

To apply for CTS online, go to and follow the links to the benefits calculator, or call into a Fenland @ your service shop.

Bills are issued for payment over 10 instalments, but you can ask to spread it over 12 months.

Payments can also be made weekly, fortnightly and monthly to help you budget. For more information contact FDC now. You will need to make a payment in April.

If you have trouble paying, contact either FDC or the Citizens Advice Bureau or go to