Sawmill praises fire service

Share this article

THE fire brigade has been praised for its efficiency in putting out a fire in a Wisbech sawmill.

Fire broke out in an extraction system at Nene Milling Co, on Brigstock Road, at around 1.30pm on Thursday, after part of the system overheated and caused some of the sawdust inside to catch fire.

These embers were then in danger of being blown throughout the extraction system, which is used to blow waste sawdust into hoppers and lorry trailers.

Two fire crews from Wisbech and the turntable ladder from Dogsthorpe went to the factory after the fire was spotted by a member of staff.

Health and safety manager, Mark Travis, said fires are an occupational danger, but they have emergency procedures that were promptly carried out. He added the fire brigade were very efficient and arrived quickly.

Firefighters moved the lorry trailers as a precaution and dismantled the extraction system to ensure the fire had not spread.

Steve Robinson, Station Manager for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: “This was a very difficult job for firefighters who were at the incident for a long time dismantling machinery and making sure the fire had not spread.

“Thanks to their efforts the fire was limited to the sawdust itself and there was very little fire damage to machinery.”

The cause of the fire was accidental.