Home   News   Article

UPDATE: Clarkson Surgery in Wisbech is expected to open as normal tomorrow following a fire at the practice




Patients at a Wisbech doctors’ surgery faced calling 111 or going to A&E following a fire at the premises on Friday afternoon until an emergency protocol was activated today (Monday).

The Clarkson Surgery in De Havilland Road, had to be evacuated at around 4pm when a fire broke out in premises’ fuse box.

However, the surgery is expected to be back up and running as normal tomorrow (Tuesday) once emergency repairs are completed.

The Clarkson Surgery in Wisbech. (4081897)
The Clarkson Surgery in Wisbech. (4081897)

Alan Ball, managing partner of the Octagon Medical Practice, of which the Clarkson Surgeryis a member, explained the incident, which was likely caused by a combination of the excessive heat of last week and an overload, forced the practice will remain closed today and patients are being advised to call the Trinity Surgery for appointments.

He said: "Trinity have kindly loaned us four treatment rooms so people who need to be seen by a doctor or a nurse can have an appointment. Our admin staff have been based at Trinity to take calls and deal with patients.

"Luckily the damage was all external and so pharmacy staff are able to work manually dispensing prescriptions to those who need them. There was a slight smoke smell inside and we have had a cleaning company in to wipe down the walls and release enzymes to take away the smell.

"UK Power Networks were out on Saturday morning replacing the outside fuse box, and we were grateful for their prompt attendance. British Gas Electric does not work over the weekends so I had to call first thing this morning to arrange for a new meter to be fitted.

"I was advised Morrisons Utility, which carries out the work, have a four hour call-out and so once that is fitted we should be back up and running. UK Power Networks did a check on Saturday and everything was working OK but obviously we can't run without a meter."

A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue said: “At 4pm on Friday two crews from Wisbech were called to a fire on De Haviland Road in Wisbech.

“Firefighters arrived to find a fire involving the fuse box in the electric main intake cupboard of a doctors surgery. Using hose reels and CO2 extinguishers to put the fire out.

“The building was safely evacuated before crews arrived at the scene.

“The crews returned to their station by 8pm. The cause of the fire was accidental.”



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More