Home   News   Article

Who saw that coming? Row erupts after TV medium fails to appear at Wisbech St Mary show

Derek Acorah
Derek Acorah

A legal dispute has broken out after popular celebrity medium Derek Acorah failed to appear at a planned show in Wisbech St Mary on Saturday night.

Police had to be called to the village’s community centre to calm down angry fans following the no-show, which is understood to relate to a row over money.

Mr Acorah’s management say they have instructed lawyers over the issue, while the promoter insists he is refunding ticketholders.

Hundreds of people were at the venue for the show, which was listed as part of Mr Acorah’s nationwide Whispers from Heaven tour.

One of them, Mandy Freear, said she had been “desperate” to attend the show.

She said; “I was stunned when they said he wasn’t coming on. I’ve been waiting years to see him. I can’t get to somewhere like King’s Lynn or Peterborough because I don’t drive.

“We had four members of our family that we would have liked to know about.

“It’s not just the £40 for the tickets. My niece and I had to pay for a cab to get us there and back, which we’re not going to get refunded. I don’t understand why he didn’t come on.”

Representatives of Mr Acorah’s management company said this afternoon: “We have made this an active litigation from this morning.”

In a statement on its Facebook page, the promoters of the show, Wrights Entertainment, said: “Whilst there is a dispute I am prepared to refund all monies on production of tickets.”

It added that refunds were being provided today and more would be provided on Thursday for those unable to attend today.

Meanwhile, the community centre’s management committee said the event was a “private hire” of the facility which had been arranged since last October and was not connected to them.

They added: “A little over 250 people were present in the audience when a few minutes after the due start time the agency advised of the shocking news that Derek Acorah had left the building and would not be appearing at all.

The disappointing news was announced to the audience with the details provided by Wrights Entertainment and people were advised to contact the agency for refunds. Names and addresses were collected before people began to leave.”

A Cambridgeshire Police spokesman said officers had been called to the venue shortly after 8pm to “ease tensions.”

She said: “No criminal offences have been committed and the incident related to a civil matter. We’re aware those who attended are to be offered refunds.”

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More