Home   News   Article

Wisbech victim feared she could die

No Caption ABCDE ENGANL00120130627151941
No Caption ABCDE ENGANL00120130627151941

A father who twice grabbed his partner round the throat in front of their two-year-old daughter has escaped an immediate jail sentence.

Grzegorz Kolbuc’s girlfriend feared he could kill her following the vicious attacks at their Wisbech family home, magistrates heard.

The 33-year-old originally denied assaulting his partner, but was found guilty following a trial at King’s Lynn Magistrates’ Court last month.

Kolbuc, now living at Hill Street in Wisbech, appeared at the court again last week when he was sentenced to six-months in custody, suspended for two years.

Magistrates also imposed a restraining order banning him from contacting his ex-partner or going near her new Wisbech home, to last indefinitely.

Susanna Chowdhury, prosecuting, told the bench the couple had been together for six years but at the time of the offences they were not getting on very well.

Kolbuc was sleeping on the sofa and their daughter was sleeping in their bedroom in her own bed, she said.

At 2am on July 28 Kolbuc came home drunk and tried to get into his partner’s bed, but when she refused he slapped her round the face and grabbed her throat.

Miss Chowdhury said: “She said it caused her a considerable amount of pain and the daughter woke up and became upset.”

Later that day, at 7.30pm, the victim received a phone call from a friend, but before she could answer it Kolbuc smashed the phone to the floor and stamped on it.

“He then grabbed her round the throat and slapped her across the face, again in front of their daughter,” said Miss Chowdhury.

The victim then ran to a neighbour’s house to call the police.

Following the assaults, she was left with a sore neck and back, a split lip and swollen cheek. She also suffered a nose bleed in the first attack.

In a police statement, she said: “I don’t think he’ll change his ways. I believe he could kill me if he was angry enough to do it.”

Kolbuc was sentenced to three months custody for the first assault and three months for the second, to run consecutively, and 14 days for the criminal damage to the phone, to run concurrently.

The total six-month sentence was suspended for two years, with a two year supervision requirement and Building Better Relationships programme requirement.

He was also ordered to pay £650 costs, an £80 victim surcharge and £25 compensation for the phone.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More