Home   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Work on Wisbech Market Place enhancement scheme to start on Tuesday



More news, no ads

LEARN MORE


Work on the the enhancement scheme for Wisbech Market Place is due to start on Tuesday.

The aim of the scheme is to improve the appearance of Wisbech Market Place and introduce new and improved facilities; to enhance its use as both a trading area and community space.

The rationale behind the scheme is to deliver something in this key area of Wisbech, which should add to the vitality and vibrancy of the town – providing social, environmental and economic benefits for those who live, work, visit or are looking to invest in the town.

Work on Wisbech Market Place starts on Tuesday
Work on Wisbech Market Place starts on Tuesday

Construction works, which are anticipated to have a duration of 10 weeks, will be undertaken by Tilney All Saints company NB Construction, for Wisbech Town Council,

The enhancement scheme includes new paving, benches, waste bins, planters and other decorative features.

The construction work will begin at The Globe end of the Market Place, with approximately 60% of the space being undertaken as phase one (six weeks); phase two (four weeks) will be the remaining 40%.

It is anticipated that there will be no or little disruption to town centre activities during the period of the works. Market trading will continue, albeit there will need to be temporary changes to some traders’ pitch locations.

Associated with the enhancement scheme will be 'pedestrianisation' of the Market Place area, whereby there will be no access to the Market Place from Church Terrace between 7am and 4pm each day.

Cambridgeshire County Council's Highway Authority will be carrying out those works – including street lining and the installation of gates and signage – during May.

Wisbech Market Place Management Committee chairman Coun Andrew Lynn says: “I am extremely pleased that works to deliver this project are now beginning.

"It is great when an ambition or a desire to make better the place where you live can be turned into a reality. This has not been easy to achieve but the hard work and determination of council members and staff, plus liaison and collaboration with the contractor, suppliers and other relevant agencies, has paid-off."



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More