Charity match is taster for winter league

Dick Paul and match winner Steve Wright
Dick Paul and match winner Steve Wright

The big curtain-raiser for the forthcoming opening round of this season’s Winter League campaign took place on the North Level Drain on Sunday, writes Ken Wade.

Although the main reason there was such a good turn- out was more to do with the Fenland club running the Tydd Gote Centenary Charity Match for the Norfolk Hospice in memory of John Plitsch, former secretary of T.G.A.C.

The large shield is to celebrate over 100 years of Tydd Gote Angling Club, this was first fished for in 1914 with a team of four anglers’ combined weights to decide the winner of the shield. This tradition has been restarted with Sunday’s match.

Top team on the day was Wisbech Oddments, with a total weight of 67lb 6oz. The team was Steve Wright, Neil Newby, Mick Dixon and Dave Bontoft, who shared £200. Their win was bolstered by match winner Wright who had a weight of 52lb 4oz of bream and skimmers on the feeder with worms, caster and groundbait.

Steve was pegged along the Ash Tree area up from the main road bridge at Tydd Gote. Neil Newby also contributed with12lb of skimmers.

The second team on the day was Browning Hotrods with a total weight of 59lb 4.8oz. They were helped along by Andrew Kilby with a weight of 40lb 8oz of bream on the feeder, in the pylons area, noted well for big bream. Andrew was also runner up on the individual front.

The John Plitsch Individual Memorial Trophy was donated by T.G.A.C and there was also a trophy for the winner, donated by John Plitsch’s wife and family.

Results: 1 S Wright, Wisbech Oddments 52lb 4oz, 2 A Kilby, Browning Hotrods 40lb 8oz, 3 P Chesterton, Maver Image 33lb 2oz, 4 J Bates, Sensas Mark One 15lb 14oz, 5 N Newby, Wisbech Oddments 12lb, 6 L Naylor, Browning Hotdogs 11lb 1 ½ oz.

A total of £393 was raised for the Norfolk Hospice, which was John’s family’s choice of charity, because of the help they had given to John. The money was raised through running a raffle, prizes were donated by anglers and Wisbech Angling Centre and a donation of pegging money from T.G.A.C. A wonderful day all round and I think the majority of the anglers will be hoping the event will become a permanent fixture in the Tydd Gote angling calendar.

So now the talking stops and the action begins this Sunday for the East Midland Winter League. It does seem, though, that it has not go off to a great start before the first fixture as I hear that yet another team has pulled out and, at such a late stage, there is no chance of another team coming in to make up the numbers, let alone challenge for the leading places. Round One is on the North Level Drain and providing we do not see a dramatic change in the weather before the weekend it should be a very good competitive match looking at last weekend’s result.

The latest Townsend Fishery Open match saw anglers lining the banks of the Kingfisher Pool. Top rod with 54lb 2oz from peg 18 was Pete Ashton, he caught a few fish early in the match on a feeder but had better sport from his margin line with luncheon meat.

Duncan Fuller took second place. He caught on similar tactics to the winner but fell the odd fish or two short with 47lb 14oz from peg 13. Ricky James had 44lb 5oz on the feeder and pellet waggler to claim third place.

There were still plenty of small fish showing on the top end of the Forty Foot drain for the Chatteris Workingmen’s Club anglers, but unfortunately no bream or tench to boost weights.

Top rod with a modest 5lb of fish was Steve Newell, then came Mark Dunham on 4lb 15oz, followed by John Roper with 3lb 14oz. The club’s next fixture will be at Horseways on Sunday, with a draw time of 8am.

Wisbech-based Metal Box AC fished their latest match over at Westwood Lakes, a fishery that has seen quite a few of our local anglers over the past couple of seasons. They fished the new Falcon Pool and had a cracking day’s sport.

Out in front with a fine 83lb 8oz net of small carp was Peter Harrod. He fished the pole down the middle on maggot over pellet. Runner-up with 81lb 13oz was Roger Archer, he also fed pellet but opted for luncheon meat on the hook. Shaun Buddle came in third with 65lb 14oz.