RAF man Graham flies to top spot

Angling right across the area got back to something like normal winter conditions at the weekend, with most waters producing reasonable sport.

Sunday’s action was hampered by an overnight frost and a bitterly cold wind but not enough to stop anglers wetting a line.

The big HAJAC Winter League saw match organisers spreading the match across four venues to ensure as many as possible caught fish and in the main it worked out really well. Top individual from the Forty Foot drain was RAF man Graham Welton, he drew right on the tench peg and took full advantage of a good draw.

Graham fished chopped worm and caster expecting perhaps a couple of tench and a few perch but by the final whistle he managed to put 14 tench to the scales to weigh in a wonderful 45lb 2oz.

Runner-up was Andy Mead, he fished at Raveley Drain and put a net of small roach to the scales taken on pinkie over groundbait for 14lb 3oz. March rod John Bates came in third, he was drawn on the St Mary’s section of the Old Nene, finishing with 12lb 10oz.

On the team front it turned out to be a really good day for the Stanjay Tackle Gold side, they topped the field with an excellent 16 point tally. Maver Bait Tech “B” came in second on 27 points closely followed by March AC on 29.

That gave the local boys March AC a boost as they now top the league after two rounds with seven points, one ahead of Stanjay Gold and Maver “B”.

Tydd Gote

It was tough going for those fishing the Wednesday match held at Clough on the North Level Drain, Phil Parnell and Andy Greenwood taking the honours both with a net of small roach weighing 1lb 5oz.

Sunday’s match was much better, weights improved dramatically, Andy Greenwood keeping his good form going with 8lb 8oz of roach, the majority taken on hemp seed. Phil Parnell came in second with 8lb 0 ½ oz followed by Ray Groom on 7lb 15oz.

Fixtures for the club are now back to normal with both the Wednesday and Sunday matches drawing at Clough Bridge at 9am, fishing will be 10am till 3pm.


It was difficult for those fishing the open match on Saturday, the fish refused to feed in any numbers leaving fishery boss Marcus Bailey a comfortable winner with a modest 16lb 6oz from the Snake Lake. Runner-up was Vinny Easey with 9lb 14oz followed by Bob Coulson on 8lb 14oz.

Sunday’s match on the Trev’s pool saw some much improved action, venue regular Pete Lambdin taking the honours with 34lb 14oz from peg 29, Pete fished the pole with red maggot, netting seven carp. Brian Lee came in second on 33lb 12oz followed by Andy May with 33lb 4oz. 

There will be an open match on the Snake Lake on Saturday and Sunday’s match will be a Qualifier for the big money final and will be fished on Trev’s. Draw for both will be 8.45am, fishing 10am till 4pm.

Townsend Lakes

This fishery is starting to fish well which should see some better turnouts now, in the Saturday open on the Kingfisher Pool Luke Morley topped the field with a net of carp taken on a small Method feeder and also the pole late on for 37lb 2oz. Colin Begbie came in second with 25lb 6oz, followed by Ricky Young with 17lb 12oz.

Sunday’s match on the popular Cuckoo Canal Pool saw the venue fishing well, Colin Begbie again taking the honours, from peg 38 with a net of carp taken on red maggot and a few late on with pellet weighing in 54lb 8oz. Ricky Young came in second on 38lb 8oz followed by Nigel Hargreaves with 31lb 9oz, Nigel taking his fish on sweetcorn.