Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Wisbech ease to victory over Thetford

More news, no ads


Wisbech sealed back to back wins after a convincing 69-12 home victory over a spirited Thetford in a London 3 Eastern Counties league match.

It took 90 seconds for the first points to be scored. Nathaniel Humphreys broke the line and got the ball away to Jon Turner on the left wing who scored under the posts. Sam Anderson converted to give the hosts a 7-0 lead.

Minutes later, Gerhard Wessels beat two defenders to break the line and find centre Shane Vickers who neatly found Turner on his outside to run in the simplest of touch downs in the corner for his second try. The conversion was missed.

The victorious Wisbech first team
The victorious Wisbech first team

Man of the Match Nathaniel Humphreys then forced his way over the line,before a fantastic break from Shane Vickers saw him score under the post.

A stunning individual try from the impressive James Napier further extended the Men in Red’s lead a minute later.

Wisbech struck again when Solomon Prestidge scored after sustained attacking play to extend the lead to 38-0 going into the break.

Man of the match Nathaniel Humphries
Man of the match Nathaniel Humphries

In the second half Wisbech scored three more tries through Solomon Prestidge, Shane Vickers to complete their brace each and Jon Turner for his hat trick.

Chris Beagle, introduced off the bench at the start of the second half, rounded off a strong attacking move to score under the post on his debut.

Thetford then found a foothold in the game, running through the phases and winning a series of penalties to score a try of their own.

A flurry of fine attacking moves from Thetford brought the pressure. Running through phase after phase in Wisbech’s 22, they scored a try, the conversion was good.

Wisbech U14s in action
Wisbech U14s in action

Wisbech would score again but Thetford gave it to the last, James Napier who rounded off an offload from Rory Willis to score under the post completing his brace for the day.

Wisbech travel to Norwich Union on Saturday.

Wisbech U14 won 42-19 at Peterborough Lions on Sunday. Wisbech fired out of the blocks straight from the whistle with a very good ball chase which led to the first scrum.

Wisbech U14s at Peterborough Lions
Wisbech U14s at Peterborough Lions

This gave the boys in red a chance to show their outstanding scrummaging power and Ethan Richie charged over for the first score, which was converted.

Peterborough fought back to make it 7-7, but Wisbech then scored two further converted tries through Elliot Brown, to take a 21-7 lead into the break.

The Lions came back with a try after the break but Wisbech hit back with a try of their own through Brodie Fall, to make it 28-19.

The Wisbech U9/10 squad at Sleaford
The Wisbech U9/10 squad at Sleaford

They then closed the game out with another two converted tries being run in by Elliot Brown, with Archie Grange-Hall completing 100% of conversions.

A squad of 14 Wisbech U9s/U10s divided into Tigers and Wildcats teams to play the visitors from Sleaford RFC.

The matches played produced some great rugby and Sleaford proved to be the best prepared teams that the squad have played since Christmas.

All the games were played in a great spirit and players on both sides showed a real confidence when tackling.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More