Home   Sport   Article

Fenmen strike it lucky with winning streak

Wisbech Town v Desborough Town Football action ENGANL00220131125085622
Wisbech Town v Desborough Town Football action ENGANL00220131125085622

Scorer: Paul Cousins.

Oadby Town 1

The Fenmen made it 13 consecutive league wins and 14 in all during their great UCL title-challenging run.

Oadby Town FC’s first visit to the Elgoods Fenland Stadium on Saturday wasn’t a happy one.

Adam Millson got the ball rolling with a fourth minute goal.

Second half goals came from Paul Cousins (61) and Tommy Treacher (67 and 70) after Oadby had equalised on 49 mins.

Midfielder Steven Reid limped off after ten minutes with an ankle problem to become one of two injury concerns for Wisbech.

Manager Dick Creasey said: “Steve turned his ankle over. The pitches are like concrete at the moment – there’s no give to them. It’s gone from one extreme to the other.

“We did the sensible thing and got him straight off.

“He’s got a bit of an ‘egg’ on his ankle. It’s obviously touch and go for the season. We’ll assess the situation tonight (Monday).

“Neal Spafford played no part on Saturday with some knee ligament damage.

“He’s in the right hands because his dad’s the physio. Hopefully he will be OK for Saturday.”

Wisbech: Jordan, Johnson, Fairweather, Cousins, Horne, Lunn, Reid (Bishop), Millson, Cobb (Smith), Ford, Treacher (Beaumont).

Sub not used: Wilson.

Attendance: 173.

The Reserves won 4-3 away at ICA Sports Reserves.

Goals from Clayton, Charalambous (penalty), Jalo and new signing Jack Davis.

Top three

AFC Rushden & D 32 25 4 3 79

Wisbech Town 31 24 3 4 75

Thurnby 32 23 2 7 71

Wisbech Town 2,

Cogenhoe United 2

(AET, 4-3 pens)

Wisbech needed a penalty shoot-out, in which keeper Lea Jordan made a couple of saves, to win their midweek Chromasports United Counties League Cup quarter-final.

The Fenmen earned a tough semi-final at AFC Rushden & Diamonds, on a date to be arranged, in a clash of the Premier Division’s current top two.

Billy Smith and Josh Ford scored the Fenmen’s goals either side of Taylor’s penalty equaliser.

On 75 minutes Cogenhoe headed home a second half equaliser.

Both sides finished with 10 men with Luke Wilson seeing red for Wisbech after collecting a second yellow card.

Wisbech won the shoot-out 4-3 with Adam Millson, Stuart Cobb, Ford and Steven Reid on target.

Wisbech: Jordan, Spafford, Fairweather, Wilson, Horne, Smith, Reid, Millson, Cobb, Ford, Beaumont.

Subs: Johnson, Bishop, Cousins.

Attendance: 103.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More