Appleby takes festive spell all in his stride

Wisbech V Kettering in FA cup action 'Steve Appleby
Wisbech V Kettering in FA cup action 'Steve Appleby

Wisbech Town boss Steve Appleby tries to take the hectic Christmas and New Year period, where matches tend to come thick and fast, into his stride.

He said: “I try not to let it affect us. You have just got to be mindful of the number of games. If people are looking like they have been playing too many games or they are carrying an injury then it is time to refresh it a bit.”

Wisbech Town FC v St Ives in FA Vase action

Wisbech Town FC v St Ives in FA Vase action

Then there is the temptation to indulge in a little too much Christmas spirit.

Appleby (pictured) added: “You’ve got to be mindful of the things you do. We all need to spend time with friends and families, but you have to know when to do it, and you have still got to get things right on the pitch.

“Everyone has much food and drink over Christmas. You have got to enjoy yourself, but in moderation.”

It is a difficult task for local semi-pro players at this level, when you have to juggle work, home and football, as Appleby acknowledges: “It is difficult, but every footballer is in the same situation.

“You have still got responsibilities – if you lose the three games over Christmas then you have thrown away a lot of the work so far over the season.

“I like to give the lads the responsibility – when to do it and when not to do it.”

He was not surprised Saturday’s trip to Walsham-le-Willows was postponed during the morning due to a waterlogged pitch, as the entire league suffered a washout at the weekend.

This fixture will now take place on Wednesday, March 6 with a 7.45pm kick off.

Appleby added: “I was quite relieved as we had a couple of last-minute problems, with Stacy Cartwright’s injury and Anthony Reeve unavailable with a family issue.

“I would have been without those two and Paul Cousins in defence.”

Wisbech Town 2,

Thetford 1

The Fenmen came from behind to win this Red Insure League Cup-tie at the Elgood’s Stadium on Tuesday of last week.

This result earns them a quarter-final spot on Wednesday, January 30 at Kirkley & Pakefield.

The hosts went behind to Thetford Town on 20 minutes, but within five minutes teenager Jack Friend scored his second senior goal with a poaching effort.

On the half-hour mark Neal Spafford got on the end of a move and made it 2-1 with a left-foot shot.

Manager Steve Appleby said: “Young Jack impressed again, and we did what we set out to do. We needed one or two of the lads to be getting games.”

Wisbech: Jordan, Fairweather, Reeve, Cartwright, Johnson, Spafford, McGeorge, Reid, Napier, Bacon, Friend. Subs used: Ogbonna, Lunn, Millson.

l Wisbech’s game away at Ely City has been moved from New Year’s Day to the following day, Wednesday, January 2, with a 7.45pm kick off in the Thurlow Nunn Premier.