Away show wows Webb

LEVERINGTON manager Stuart Webb was as “proud as punch” after his side’s 5-2 win at Moulton Harrox in the Peterborough League Premier Division on Saturday.

They trailed 2-1 at the break but dominated the second half with four goals and a very good three points.

Leverington had in fact taken the lead with Dan Fysh on target before the home side responded with two goals to lead 2-1 at the break.

Webb’s assistant, the expeienced Wayne Garner, had a few choice words at half-time for the players about their performance and they came out a different side for the second 45 minutes.

Darren Rawthorne chested down a Nathan Watson cross and volleyed home the equaliser and then after 70 minutes Steve Thompson, who was again superb in the Leverington defence, headed the goalkeeper’s clearance back over the top of the home defence for Sam Cubberley to chase down and square the ball for Fysh to shoot into an open goal.

Watson then had a good run and though his first shot was blocked he was on the spot to put the loose ball into the net.

Watson was also involved in the fifth goal with his cross being volleyed home by a hard working Cubberley for a 5-2 finish.

A delighted Webb said: “To score five goals at Moulton who have some good players is just tremendous and I am as proud as punch.

“We did not play that well in the first half but after the break we gave our best away performance of the season.

“The players took on board what Wayne said to them at half-time and we played some very good stuff.

“Thommo was outstanding again and Sam Cubberley worked his socks off up front. It is just a pity we do not have a game next week.”

Parson Drove grabbed a very good point in a 1-1 draw with title chasing Eye Sports as they battle to avoid relegation.

They led at half-time courtesy of an own goal when a James McManus ball into the area was turned into the net by an Eye defender.

Eye equalised when Drove failed to clear a corner but stand-in manager Gary Haimes said: “It was a very good point for us in a game that could have gone either way.”

In Division One Long Sutton lost 4-2 to Holbeach Reserves who scored twice in the last two minutes of the game.

Holbeach were much the better side in the first 45 minutes when they led 2-1 with a Ryan Lennon goal for the Magpies.

Matt Raddleoff scored from the penalty spot after Martin Ward was fouled in the box to put the score level at 2-2.

It looked like it would stay that way until Holbeach came up with two late goals.

Long Sutton’s Binny Mackay said: “We were poor in the first half and could have been 5-1 down. We did not deserve to win the game but it was disappointing to concede the two late goals and not get a point.”

Long Sutton Reserves did win though by 2-1 at Whittlesey Reserves with goals from Aaron and Adam Ffitch.

Leverington Reserves continued their rich vein of form with a 2-0 win at Ramsey Reserves. George Evans and Mariusz Kudyba were on target for the victors.

Guyhirn lost 1-0 at Oakham Reserves in Division Two and Sutton Bridge Reserves were beaten 5-3 at Ryhall Reserves in Division Five.

Bradley Fox, Kieren Lally and Lewis Eyre scored.