Benwick boss birthday boost

Sport News from the Fenland Citizen,, @FenlandCit on Twitter
Sport News from the Fenland Citizen,, @FenlandCit on Twitter

Reg Haigh & Arthur Peck Cup

Benwick Res 6 Cottenham A 4 (aet)

Benwick Reserves got their first win of the season.

Benwick went into a 2-0 lead thanks to goals from Damo Shailes. Cottenham brought it back to 2-2, before Gary Davis and Rikki Marr set up two Shailes goals. In extra time, goals from Neal Longfoot and Dave Chapman sealed the win.

Manager Mark Bishop said: “This was a great birthday present for me.”

Lincolnshire Junior Cup

Tydd St Mary 3 Billinghay Ath 2

Tydd booked their place into the third round after ‘keeper David Cooper and centre half Daniel Piccaver defended admirably.

Scorers: acting captain Piccaver, Tim Lowe and Stuart Easey from 25 yards.

Midway through the second half Tydd front man Joe Harrison was sent off following provocation from a defender.

Tydd coach Dave Monaghan said: “We showed fantastic commitment and desire. That’s five wins on the bounce.”

Lower Junior Cup

Upwell 3 Whittlesey Ath 1

Upwell Town made it five wins from five.

Callum Summers blasted a free kick into the top corner and doubled his tally just after the half hour mark. Tom Brazil struck from the outside of the box on the hour mark.

Upwell manager, Karl Schultz said: “We did what we set out to do and equalled last season’s record in this cup. Jonny Allen deserves special praise for his work rate.”

Cambs League NMC 5B

Marchester Utd 6 Lakenheath Casuals 0

Lewis Greening helped himself to a first half hat-trick and Chris Haddon completed his hat-trick in the second half as Marchester recorded their first points of the season.

Stand-in keeper Warren Anderson saved a late penalty.

Chatteris Town B 1 Upwell Res 6

Upwell were 3-0 up at the break.

Upwell scorers: Aaron Marshall (2), Curtis Oldroyd (2), Dave Burton & Tommy Fage.

NWN Division 3

Heacham A 2 Upwell A 2

Goals from Jake Hopkisson and Callum Elsey saw the youngsters continue their unbeaten streak.

The match was marred by a couple of sending offs when Crossman (Heacham) was shown a straight red then re-entered the field of play. Upwell’s Craig Pack defended himself, but used excessive force in the referee’s eyes and was also given his marching orders.

Upwell A manager Harry Griffin said: “This sort of thing always seems to happen when a proper referee isn’t allocated to a match. We are in mid October and we’ve yet to be allocated a referee from the Norfolk FA.”