Billy’s back to help reserves win thriller

BILLY SMITH returned to the Wisbech Town ranks on Saturday and scored in the reserves’ nail-biting 5-4 victory over Soham United in the Cambs League Senior A Division at Tom Wood’s Beer Fenland Stadium on Saturday.

Smith only returned to the club in midweek after a fruitless move to King’s Lynn had seen him spend too much time warming the bench and now Steve Appleby is keen to get some games into the the flying forward before he gets his chance in the first team.

But it was not Smith who took the accolades in this game but Aaron McKenna who put Wisbech ahead in the first half and then scored the winner with five minutes to go.

Soham United equalised on the stroke of half-time but a few words from assistant manager Darren Edey and Jon Knight made sure Wisbech came out all guns blazing for the second half and they scored twice in the first two minutes.

Smith grabbed the first goal and then Dan Fysh made it 3-1. But as well as the Fenmen looked going forward they were just as bad defensively and Soham soon made it 3-2.

Fysh scored a fourth Wisbech goal but then Soham hit back once gain to show the Wisbech frailties with two goals in two minutes on the 74th minute mark to level the scores at 4-4.

With five minutes left Sam Cubberley cross for the well placed McKenna to volley home at the far post and keep Wisbech in top spot.

Edey commented: “We defended terribly but we looked like scoring every time we went forward. Aaron McKenna was outstanding for us and took the winner very well.

“Billy Smith was a bit rusty to start with but improved as the game went on and did very well in the end.”

Wimblington made it back-to-back wins with a 1-0 victory over Castle Camps with Jody Day heading home the winner from a Liam Fox free kick.

Manager Dean Stacey commented: “There were not many chances in the game but we put in a decent performance and I am happy with the win.

“We are getting a few players back now and I am sure we can hold our own in this league.”

March Town Reserves suffered their first defeat under the managership of Phil White this season when they went down 1-0 at home to St Ives Rangers. March were missing Marc Welcher and Stuart Warby and then had Gary White sent off for two yellow cards in the second half.

March manager White said: “I suppose it was going to happen sooner or later but we still played quite well but did not take our chances.”

Before the freeze Outwell Swifts’ James Parker scored five goals in a 5-4 win but on Saturday he was forced to play in goal and was just as busy as his side lost 8-0 to Longstanton in Senior B.

Manager Paul Brenchley said: “We were without a goalkeeper and after the three-week break were very lethargic, but we did have a full squad with subs.”

Wisbech St Mary are still making good progress up the table and were 3-0 winners at home against Saffron Crocus.

Joe Whybourn gave them a first half lead when he rounded the keeper after some good football from the home side.

Chris Macaree made it 2-0 after the break from the penalty spot after Richie Bowden was brought down in the box.

Substitute Jack Mockford added a third goal with 20 minutes left.

Saints’ Darren Hurst said: “We had the chances to kill the game off earlier than we did but it was a good all-round performance.

“We had a full squad available and we will need them next week with a tough game against Longstanton.”

In Division 2B Chatteris Town Reserves lost out 1-0 to second placed Earith while March Rangers were pipped 4-3 at Sutton United.

Manea United picked up a point in a 3-3 draw at The Vine.

Wisbech St Mary Reserves suffered a 5-2 defeat at Witchford 96 on a not a very good day for the local sides in this section.

But at least Doddington manager Jock Bedford was a happy man after his side’s 4-4 draw with Burwell Swifts.

Darren Goodwin hit a first half hat-trick but the home side kept pace for a 3-3 scoreline at the break.

Gerorge Masterson put Doddington in front at 4-3 after 64 minutes but the home side scored a minute later.

Bedford said: ‘It was very good game in poor conditions and I throughly enjoyed it.”

Estover Park suffered their first defeat in Division 3B when they were beaten 4-1 at home by the new leaders Isleham United.

Wimblington Reserves drew 3-3 at home to Streatham with Dan Blake, Adrian Whytock and Aaron Yeomans on target on what was good day for the club.

Wisbech St Mary A had the easiest win of the local sides with a thumping 7-1 victory over Cottenham A in Division 4B.