Boss Edey inspires a thrilling comeback

Wisbech Town Reserves had to come back from 2-0 and 3-1 down to draw 3-3 against Hundon while down to ten men in Cambs League Senior A.

Dean Shepperson had been sent off for denying a goalscoring opportunity as the last defender.

Reserves boss Darren Edey, who brought himself on to score the second and third goals with a 25-yarder and a tap-in, said: “Shep tried to win the ball, but the lad had gone wide after rounding the keeper.

“It was a penalty, but not a goalscoring opportunity. It was two points dropped but I’m happy that we showed a lot of character in the second half, bearing in mind we played 70 minutes with ten men.”

Sam Darlow had made it 2-1 five minutes into the second half.

Wimblington notched their first win of the season in five attempts by beating visitors Cambridge City Reserves 3-1 in a game affected by strong winds. They got the perfect start when Richard Parrish scored straight from the kick-off inside 15 seconds.

Steve Daplyn and Paul Shafer netted while City got a consolation to make it 3-1 at half-time.

Manager Dean Stacy said: “It was a much better performance and there were players coming back into the side. It’s good to get our first win.”

Early pacesetters Wisbech St Mary won 3-1 against Castle Camps despite going behind and having Jack Mockford sent off for violent conduct within ten minutes of the start.

Saints hit back with strikes from Stuart Brown, Ricky Bowden and Chris Macaree.

Saints’ Darren Hurst said of the sending-off: “I was surprised as it was the assistant who flagged – the referee didn’t see it. We played well as a team after dropping points last week, and we could have won it by more in the end. Ricky Bowden was outstanding.”

A drawn 1-1 Premier Division home game with Linton Granta leaves Chatteris Town with a won two, drawn two, lost two record in mid-table.

A mix-up between goalkeeper and defender left Stuart Porter conceding an own goal, but Town equalised within the first half-hour when Ben Matthews was brought down in the box and Jake Burton converted the penalty.

Manager Steve Taylor said: “A point was a fair result. We just need a few more bodies back – we had about five players out injured.”

In Division 1B March Town Reserves rued a last minute penalty miss from Sean White as they lost 2-1 at home to leaders Huntingdon United RGE. Jim Orvis had put the Reserves ahead but the visitors netted once in each half.

Boss Mark Hammond said: “We were the better side over the 90 minutes but both their goals came when we were messing with the ball around our own box and we didn’t clear our lines.”

In midweek March, who scored through Josh Jackman and sub Tom Taylor, lost 3-2 at Chatteris Reserves. Haddenham Rovers v Chatteris Town Res was postponed.

In Division 2B Manea United are joint top after winning 5-0 at Bluntisham Rangers Res.

Doddington United won their opening game at Tydd United 3-0, while Wisbech St Mary Res lost 2-1 at home to Sutton United.

Wisbech St Mary A top the Division 3B pile with a 3-0 victory at Barton Mills thanks to strikes from Paul Day, Ryan Peacock and Samuel Fabela.

Estover Park bagged an opening win, 2-1 in a close contest against Little Downham Swifts. A Richard Peachey corner was powerfully headed in by new signing from March Rangers, Dan Smethurst, to level. In injury time Sam Wybourne unselfishly passed for Peachey to score into a open goal.

Chatteris Town A drew again in Division 4B, this time 1-1 at Burwell Swifts Res.

Wisbech St Mary B lost 6-0 at home to Longstanton Res, while Benwick Athletic’s game with Haddenham Rovers Res was postponed.

Chatteris Fen Tigers bagged their first Division 5D win by defeating bottom side Upwell 7-0.

Jon Gipson and James Hazel were on target for Doddington United Res in their 2-2 derby draw with Wimblington A, for whom Barry Roberts and Alan Setchell netted.

Manea United Res had a goalless stalemate with Estover Park Res, while Lewis Raven scored for March Rangers Res in their 4-1 defeat to visitors Mepal Sports Res.

Outwell Swifts Res’ Darren Moore scored in a 5-2 home loss to joint early leaders Wisbech St Mary C.

It was a close contest until in the second half Paul Burton hit an amazing four goals in 25 minutes including a superb volley into the top corner from 20 yards. MoM: Alex Papworth dictated the game from the left wing.