Double strikes help give Acorns cup joy


Acorns 4, March B 2

This was a cup game Acorns expected to win after an easy win in the league.

Acorns started strong in the first half but could not break through until some strong work in midfield found Piper Brundle to score. March created chances and found the net themselves.

In the second half March came out wanting the game more and took the lead. This seemed to get Acorns going and the March defence, under pressure, gave away a penalty which Tyler Knowles calmly slotted home.

With extra time on the cards Acorns pushed foward and the unmarked Brundle shot past the keeper. From the kick off Acorns won the ball straight away and Knowles scored.

Praise goes to both teams on a cold frosty day for not giving in.


Leverington 6,

Clenchwarton 3

In a tough home game a good flowing move from the right saw a good finish from Grady Goode, then minutes later Callum Hughes finished with a low strike.

Clenchwarton hit back on the stroke of half time for 2-1.Lucas Palacoius smacked in a third but back came Clenchwarton with a quick double.

Straight after kick off Willis Wright (mom) hit Leverington’s fourth and an own goal added to a Tristan Jones effort.

Leverington 4, Discovery 1

Leverington powered into top spot after playing some brilliant football.

Tristan Jones’ left foot drive and Willis Wright bundled the ball home for 2-0. Keeper Tom Hughes’ handling was excellent, with Lewis Day and Jake Hughes solid at the back.

Wright finished a fine move well. Discovery hit back but Leverington dominated the second half, captain and mom Grady Goode unlucky with a couple of chances, before Jones’ great strike. Some good saves from Adam Whittaker.

March Soccer School 4,

Walpole Youth 5

Walpole took control in the first half and scored three very good goals and took a 4-0 lead before March reduced the arrears with a headed goal by Robert Shepherd from a David Gatty pass.

March played much better in the second half and the whole team worked very hard. March added goals from Chris Howsam and Shepherd 2 to complete his hat trick. Walpole scored a further goal and hung on for their victory.


St Ives 2,

Chatteris Town 3

Chatteris travelled to play in an epic league cup game and ended up turning over a very strong St Ives.

Chatteris attacked strongly from the start and Ella Nutter and Laura Coe put Chatteris up 2-0 before an excellent St Ives team scored two to level the game.

Chatteris in the second half were far too strong and from goalkeeper Lauryn Titford’s clearance found the Chatteris midfield which put the ball into Nutter’s feet for her to win the game.