Draw costs Wisbech St Mary the top spot

Wisbech St Mary lost top spot in Cambs League Senior A when they dropped their first points of the season in a disappointing 2-2 draw with Hundon at home.

They looked to have the game sewn up when leading 2-0 at half-time with two goals from Ty Clarke but they could not kill the game off.

Then lapses at the back cost them two goals as the visitors drew level and in the end the game could have gone either way.

Saints Darren Hurst said: “It was two points dropped by us because I felt they were a poor side. We did have players missing but leading 2-0 at the break we should have gone on and won the game.”

Saints are now second on goal difference behind Sawston.

Wisbech Town Reserves fell to a second defeat of the season with a Castle Camps winner coming 10 minutes from time for a 1-0 win.

Town played plenty of good football but just could not finish off the good work with a goal.

Wimblington are still looking for their first win and picked up a point in a goalless draw at Milton who were gaining their first point of the season.

Manager Dean Stacy said: “It was a decent point considering we had seven players on a stag do and four players came up from the reserves and did a good job.

“We dominated the second half and hit the bar three times but could not get a goal.”

Chatteris Town bounced back from a midweek 3-0 defeat at Ely City Reserves to beat Newmarket Reserves in the Premier Division.

Jake Burton hit four goals with Tony Brown and substitute Jake Bat also on target.

The Lilies led 3-0 at the break but allowed the home side to hit back with two goals after the break.

Chatteris got on top again in the last 15 minutes to run out comfortable winners.

Manager Steve Taylor said: “We played at a good tempo and it was a lot better performance considering we had four players missing. It is a young side who are learning all the time.”

In Senior B Outwell Swifts lost 2-1 at home to Longstanton.

Manea made a good start to the season with a 5-1 win over Sutton United in Division 2B while Wisbech St Mary Reserves opened their campaign with a 3-1 victory at The Vine.

March Rangers drew 2-2 at Milton Reserves while Tydd United lost 3-2 at home to Isleham with Paul Richardson and Ben Norman on target.

Promoted Wisbech St Mary A opened with a 3-0 home win against Hemingford United A in Division 3B.

Wimblington Reserves drew 1-1 at Barton Mills with a goal from Sam Collins but were disappointed with only a point.

Estover Park lost 3-2 at West Row Gunners Res with goals from Sam Whybourn and a Richard Peachey penalty late on.

Benwick Athletic began life in Division 4B with a 3-1 win at another promoted side WSM B.

Wisbech St Mary’s new C team also got off to a winning start by beating Estover Park Res 3-1 away in Division 5D. March Rangers Reserves beat Manea Reserves 5-1.