Drove claim vital victory

PARSON Drove gained a very vital three points in their encounter against Peterborough Premier Division basement team Stamford Bels with a 3-1 win.

Drove have moved up to third from bottom and are now six points clear of the Stamford team.

They took the lead after just three minutes when Richard Harnwell headed home at the far post and then five minutes before the break Artur Mikail was brought down inside the penalty area and James McManus scored from the penalty spot.

A third Drove goal came five minutes into the second half through Stuart Cobb and really Drove should have gone on to score more against a poor side.

Twice they had ball in the net but both efforts were ruled out for clear offsides and Bels made it 3-1 with 20 minutes to go.

Manager Nick Markillie commented: “We played much better last week and lost but the three points were the most important thing and we needed them.

“The relegation threat is still there but I think we can go from this and stay up. We have the players to beat anyone on our day but we lack the consistency.”

Leverington are in danger of being sucked into the battle at the bottom and are fourth from bottom just three points ahead of Drove after a 3-2 defeat at home to Netherton.

It looked good for Leverington when Dale Palmer, who had missed a good chance earlier, put them ahead with five minutes left in the first half.

But Danny Paynter was sent off for the third time this season for two yellow cards and penalty appeals for a blatant hand ball were turned down.

Netherton made the most of 11 against 10 by going into a 2-1 lead in the second half but when Martin Jeffery hit an equaliser at 2-2 it looked as through Leverington would get a point.

But in the last minute the referee gave a penalty for handball against the home side and Netherton duly scored from the spot kick to take the three points.

Manager Alan Russell was not a happy man. “Things were going really well when we took the lead but then we lost Danny.

“I felt we still deserved something and the penalty late on was harsh after the referee had turned down our appeals in the first half in a similar incident.”

Long Sutton had a very comfortable 9-0 win against Warboys in Division Two with Kevin Goode hitting a hat-trick to make it five goals in the last two games.

The Magpies led 6-0 at the break and their other scorers were Matt Hawthorne 2, Paul Newcombe, Matt Radeloff, Shaun Copeland, and Ryan Jones from the penalty spot. Manager Paul Preston commented: “They were a poor side but you can only beat what is front of you.”

Guyhirn came out 4-0 winners in the battle of the bottom two in Division Two against Woodston.

Aaron Percel 2, Dave Morpeth and Simon Davies scored the goal but Guyhirn are now just two points behind the team above them, Gedney Hill, and have two games in hand.

Long Sutton Reserves had a 3-1 win at Alconbury Reserves with Jeremy King, Jeremy Barron and Rob Heanes on target.

Leverington Reserves lost 3-0 at Uppingham in Combination Two while Leverington A lost 8-0 at Sawtry in Combination Three.