Drove stop rot in style

PARSON Drove ended a run of six games without a win by triumphing 6-3 against Oakham United in the Peterborough Premier Division on Saturday.

Drove’s indifferent season has left them in a precarious position in the table with relegation staring them down the barrel unless they can now go forward from this result.

Barney Shailes got them off to a good start when he headed home from a James McManus corner but sloppy defending allowed Oakham to get back on terms.

James McManus restored the lead with a cracking shot from 18 yards out that flew into the top corner but then Dominic Pintilie had his penalty saved when Chris Ward was fouled in the box.

Drove then lost Shailes with a dislocated shoulder and Oakham pulled it back to 2-2 at the break.

Substitute Steve Hanlon put Drove in front once more at 3-2 and then Oakham lost a player to dissent to the referee and Chris Ward produced a good run to find the goal for a 4-2 advantage.

McManus then scored his second before Oakham made it 5-3 only for James Patrick to complete the scoring at 6-3.

Manager Nick Markillie, who had to come off the bench when sub Hanson was injured after the break, said: “It was one of those games that had everything.

“It was important we won the game and we put in a good performance and we now need a few more good days before the end of the season.”

Leverington did not do Drove any favours by losing 2-1 against the team directly above them in the table, Whittlesey United.

But manager Stu Webb was still scratching his head on how his side had not got something from the game. “We had the chances but were just not sharp enough in front of goal and we have paid for our mistakes.”

Whittlesey took the lead in the first half when a corner was only half cleared and had appeals for a penalty turned down when Steve Thompson was pushed in the box.

“The referee told me it was not a hard enough push,” said Webb.

Whittlesey went 2-0 down before Dan Fysh, making his debut after switching from Wisbech St Mary, gave Leverington hope by making it 2-1.

Webb added: “Steve Thompson and Craig Ablett were good for us and I was also very pleased with Dan Fysh. But this was a game we could easily have won.”

Long Sutton have now lost just two games in their last 13 after beating Sawtry 3-1 in Division One.

They took the lead after 20 minutes from the penalty spot when Matt Cawthorn was fouled and Stu Easy scored from the spot kick.

Sawtry equalised when Jack Thorpe parried a shot and they put away the rebound.

Sean Copeland put the home side back in front just before the break and added his second goal after 68 minutes for the three points which put Long Sutton into eighth place.

Manager Binny Mackay said: “Ryan Lennon was outstanding up front alongside Matty Cawthorn. We thoroughly deserved the win and have four home games now to make further progress up the table.”