Fenmen just too good for Jockeys

Wisbech Town Football action v Newmarket
Wisbech Town Football action v Newmarket

Wisbech Town 4, Newmarket 0

THE FENMEN returned to winning ways after two Ridgeons Premier defeats with a comfortable if not spectacular win against a struggling Newmarket side at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium on Monday.

There were two goals in each half to settle the game, and the bonus was that leaders Wroxham had lost 3-2 against Walsham too.

But really Wisbech could easily have had double figures with the normally surefooted Chris Bacon missing a handful of chances in the first half against a poor Jockeys side.

Wisbech took the lead after 13 minutes when Neal Spafford made a good run into the final third before his shot was parried by the goalkeeper and Ollie Gale stole in to put the loose ball in the net.

It should have been 2-0 only two minutes later when Nick Davey squared the ball in front of goal for Bacon who shot wide from six yards out and the striker then headed tamely into the keeper’s arms from another Davey cross.

Wisbech were playing some good football with Adam Millson very influential in the centre of midfield and after 24 minutes Steven Reid made it 2-0 when he picked up a half clearance on the edge of the box to rifle the ball home.

Newmarket’s only chance of the half came on 30 minutes when central defender Ollie Pinner had a clearance blocked but James Lane shot wide with only Ryan Rayner to beat. It was Pinner’s only mistake on an otherwise good home debut.

Wisbech were a bit sloppy with the passing at the start of the second half but came back to life on the hour mark when the referee waved play on when Matt Lunn was fouled and Millson slipped the ball through to Bacon who was brought down in the box.

It might not have been Bacon’s best day, but he showed his usual aplomb from the penalty spot with one step before firing into the roof of the net for 3-0. Lunn then had a header saved from a Millson corner and Anthony Melton had a shot scrambled around the post by the keeper.

Jon Fairweather then headed a Millson cross against the bar on 84 minutes and Davey headed home the rebound for 4-0.

A happy Steve Appleby, who has made a New Year’s resolution not to talk about referees, said: “It was good to get the win after the two defeats over Christmas but we now need to go on a good run of results.

“The lads joked that I should take Chris Bacon off at half-time but he still showed his confidence with the penalty.”

Wisbech: Ryan Rayner, Neal Spafford, Scott Johnson, Jon Fairwather, Ollie Pinner, Adam Millson, Ollie Gale, Steven Reid, Chris Bacon, Nick Davey, Matt Lunn. Subs used: Anthony Melton, Sam Darlow, Lewis Thompson. Not used: Stacy Cartwright, Sam Murphy. Att: 251.

Wisbech are away to Kirkley on Saturday when Appleby hopes to have Callum Reed and Anthony Reeve, who have missed the last two games with illness, back in the fold.